Now you may be wondering, is this legit?
Seems so. According to the SEO Hero challenge article, Wix will be giving away $50,000 to anyone who can rank the highest for the keywords “SEO Hero” between March 13 to March 15.
Apparently If Wix Wins You Can Still Get $8,000
Wix Releases Domain Name They Will Be Using
Here’s The Judge Of The Contest
This is what you need to know before going out and attempting to achieve this ranking:
- You need to create a new website in English using any CMS or plain html that’s been purchased after November 16th, 2016.
- The webpage that you’re going to try and rank apparently has to be about the SEO Experts you consider to be heroes. (Update: Wix is now saying you can rank whatever content you like, it doesn’t have to be about your favorite SEO Heroes, which makes things a lot easier 🙂 )
- You have to submit your URL to Wix between November 16, 2017 to December 16, 2016.
- You have to enter your site into the competition by submitting a link
- You need to make sure your site is connected to Google Analytics and Google search console by February 16, 2017 and add firstname.lastname@example.org as an admin.
- The term you have to rank for is “SEO Hero”
- You have to be in the US as stated here: “Persons or entities who are (1) residents of or incorporated in US embargoed countries, (2) ordinarily residing or operating in US embargoed countries, or (3) otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs, are not eligible to participate in the Contest.”
- Chase Reiner is going to win 🙂
Here’s What’s Kind Of Sketchy About The Challenge
The first thing that I’ve been seeing a lot of fuss about is the fact that Wix already has a huge authority on the web through social media and their own assets (like website, contact list, etc. Which means it’s going to be a lot easier for them to rank any site since they have the ability to outreach to a huge amount of people.
Next, Wix is asking that the people competing submit their GA and Search console data to their admin account. This seems a bit unfair because they can use this data to see exactly how and why your page is ranking through search intent and user signals.
Thirdly, Wix stated that no black hat tactics can be used, but the difference between black hat and white hat is in wide debate and it would probably be very easy to find something that’s not exactly abiding by Google’s standards. Which should mean that Wix also can be disqualified 🙂
Additionally, there may be many sites who don’t choose to rank for this term with a domain purchased after November 16th which may make it impossible to rank number one.
Finally, Wix has a huge budget and the ability to spend boat loads of money creating content on their new site and promoting said content via social media. Not to mention they can also use that content to create an insane internal linking strategy / silo infrastructure.
Here’s How To Beat Wix
If it can be done, and it can, a few if not all of the following tactics have to be induced:
- Regularly updated thematically related content.
- Insanely good user signals to the ranking page (low bounce rates, high ctr’s, social interactions, etc.)
- A massive amount of internal and external back links.
- And probably a small miracle (AKA, having enough people on Reddit and SEO communities linking to said site because they’d rather see that site win the challenge.)
By the way, I do know of a site that you could link to, I think it was called watchthixwix.com
Just sayin 🙂
Update On Current Progress
Ranking video on Google SERPS for “SEO Hero Wix Challenge.”
and number 1 on Youtube
One of the problems I’m experiencing is that this page is having a high BR and low avg tos:
which seems odd because my heatmaps are getting tons of clicks and content analytics drop off rate is at the very bottom
Hopefully by adding more content we will start to see a higher avg tos. This site could also use a re design I’m thinking I might go for Avada.
Funny Facebook Comments and Tweets About The Contest